Sunday, February 14, 2010

OTs in the Community Setting

Hi!
It's been a while.

I have done lots of things since I last posted anything. I got engaged. I was accepted into a OSHA graduate training program. And I moved into an apartment with my finance. I only have one more semester left until I get my BS/MS in OT!

Before I celebrate, I have to survive this semester. Take the NBCOT exam. Get married. Find a Job. OR Apply for a doctoral program.

Just typing that creates some anxiety inside of me.

Enough about me. I wanted to talk about a course I'm taking this semester. OT 509 Community-Based Practice. OTs in the community? Of course! At first I thought this course was lame, and fairly "touchy feely." So far in the course, I've written 2 papers and had one intense open discourse on Cultural Competency. The discussion was based on a qualitative research study measuring the perceived cultural competency of AOTA members. It was a little insulting. In all fairness it was a well planned, and explained study. However, cultural competency is not measurable. It is not taught from books. It is only learned through open and free discussion of cultural differences, similarities, and misconceptions. This is actually what was discussed in class. So now our professors (two who teach the class) have changed the assignments for the rest of the semester to include discussion about our own cultures so we can learn from each other.

What a great idea! Well hopefully it works out. I'll let you know on Wednesday.

In the mean time I have to finish 4 chapters on Industrial Hygiene, one paper on an article discussion, and another paper on an observation. Good times!


See ya next time,
Be well,
Tim Dionne
University At Buffalo
BS/MS OT Class 2010


ps. GO USA! Watch the Olympics!

No comments: