Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Potential of OT and What you can do about it!

I apologize for my absence and my lack of posting. I have been very busy with my literature review, but I finished. The literature review was on an issue/topic that discussed the history of the issue, the current situation of that issue, and a recommendation of a feasible plan for the future. My topic was the role of OT in the public, and the lack of public awareness regarding OT. My final conclusions were for every OT to join AOTA and actively participate in its process. Your membership can improve the field, by providing valuable practice information for practitioners, providing vital funding for the OT PAC, and to fund media campaigns for public awareness.

Wouldn't it be nice if "individuals, policy makers, and society as a whole will recognize, value, and promote occupational therapy as the preeminent profession that facilitates safe, independent, and full participation in life through engagement in meaningful occupation, in a broad array of contexts and environments, tailored to meet the needs of individuals, populations, and society" (Kornblau, 2004, p.11).


Well if this were true, OTs would secure a practice area in almost all occupations of life. I believe that occupational therapy can have an impact on everyone in every capacity. I think it has the potential of becoming a household name, as common as the bi-annual dentist check-up. I imagine occupational therapy reshaping the medical field and the medical community. I do not want to encroach on another field's service.
However, I'm a optimist. So for now, I will settle for achieving goals 1-4 on the top ten goals for the future of OT.

Be well! And join AOTA, if you aren't already a member!!
Tim Dionne
University At Buffalo
BS/MS OT class of 2010

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hi Tim,

This is my first ever blog comment. What a moment for me! Great work on the blog, I can tell you have put a lot of thought and work into it! Keep it up, you are a mover and shaker! I am especially thankful for your posts about autism awareness! I would also encourage your readers to watch the Autism Everyday video on the Autism Speaks website...as an occupational therapist it is such a powerful demonstration of how autism influences the occupations of the family.

I did have a question, you mention OT's will have a role in almost every occupation? Why not all?

Good luck with finals!

Beth